Amanda has had a rather eventful week which is really what a child should expect when living with a mom who is constantly doing stupid things.......On Wednesday, we were almost out the door to go to COW club for her and bible study for me, putting her shoes on was a bit of a struggle since she said they are too little but I don't think they really are. (buying shoes for someone else is just not my speciality and I find it very difficult because I never really know if they fit her or not)
I put the keys right by the door so I wouldn't forget them, and then set the alarm, and shut the door yes, with those precious keys still beside it!!!!!! Yes, locking us out! I haven't done this since we moved but I know that has only been 1 1/2 years.........I was so bummed so I decided to call my husband because thank God I still had my purse.....only when I turned my phone on it immediately said, "powering down" LOVELY!
So, I thought about crying because I could have easily out of mere frustration, but didn't want to upset Amanda so I told her we would just take a walk to our favorite family restaurant even though it didn't open for almost another 2 hours, we could walk to the library and hang out. But first, I had to close the garage without using the remote since it was locked in my car, the painters had told me they just ran under the garage door when no one was home so I put Amanda in the stroller on the outside of the garage and pushed the button and ran to go under it so it would be shut and no one would steal whatever they wanted in the garage. Only, it didn't work, the door came right back up the minute I got under it! So frustrating!
I tried this 2 more times while my poor daughter watched and said, "go mommy the door is going to hit you!" I finally just gave up and decided if someone wanted something they could just have it and we went to start our day. We had such a nice walk. Of course, since I didn't have everything we needed for a day of being locked out of the house, we stopped at CVS first.
I was starting to feel like I was homeless since I had no access to my home, or car. Of course, Amanda yelling in front of the manager of the store, "I am soooo hungry!" didn't help me feel any different! I told her the restaurant would open soon, the poor thing had only had a cheese stick for breakfast, I know I am a bad mom! I was counting on the snack she would get at her COW club because she doesn't like breakfast until mid-morning:)
Next, we headed to the library and Amanda and I played with the magnetic letters and she read several books to me because she wanted to read to me:0 After an hour or so, we went over to the restaurant. By then our stroller was starting to look like a homeless person's cart with all the stuff we had from CVS and the books we checked out. It was so nice to see friendly faces of our friends who work there and enjoy a nice meal! (gosh, now I am sounding like a homeless person.
It was 12 ish and I debated if we should just go to a playground and hang out around the library and shopping area but there really isn't much there to keep a toddler interested until 6 pm when daddy would be home:) Amanda said, "let' s go get ice cream!" she had remembered seeing a DQ:) So off we went, after ice cream we went back to the restaurant and I used the phone to call a locksmith. The locksmith needed a phone number though and of course I didn't have a phone that worked so I gave them my moms only I didn't think to call and tell her!
We told them we could be home in 45 minutes since we were walking back home.......they said they would be there only of course they weren't. We waited for a while in the yard and decided to go to the neighbor's house and call only her English is very limited:) I called the locksmith but the locksmith that was coming needed to call me for directions because he had gotten lost and needed a number like the one I was calling from and when I asked the neighbor she said something that resembled "yes"and went into the kitchen, I told the guy on the phone that I was at a neighbor's house and didn't know the number and she didn't speak English and he was stumped and still wanted the number so I told him to forget it and called my mom to see if she could find another locksmith and give me their number.
She said someone had called an 1 hour or so ago but told her they were from another state:) So we tried someone who would be there in 30 minutes:) The neighbor was in a hurry to get to the house next door because she was babysitting her baby grandson who was sick! (I know why would she leave a baby in a house to go to another home?) Actually, I think we interrupted a special prayer time she was having at her altar with oranges...so maybe that is what she came over for? Don't know, I just felt bad for the baby being sick and alone if he woke up.
Amanda and I went back to the front yard and she wanted to change into her extra outfit since she had gotten some ice cream on it. So we did the whole changing of the clothes thing in the front yard and finally.......the locksmith comes, checks the door and says he can open it without doing damage to the lock. (how nice!)
It would be $160 bucks plus, the $39 service charge for coming out. I was tired by this point since it was 3 pm and we had been lock out since a little after 9:) So I didn't think and said, "Are you crazy?" He assured me he wasn't and I told him he could forget it that I would just wait for three hours and go to my neighbors or something. He said, "well you still have to pay the 39.00 service fee!" ha ha ha I said, "I am not giving you a dime because you didn't do anything." He said he was going to the car to call his boss! OHHHHHHHOHHHHHH! I'm so scared!!!!!!!! He said that his boss needed a number to call me!
Honestly, how many times did I have to tell them I have no phone on me that works!!!!!!! He came back out and looked at the door and said, "how much will you pay?" I knew that was a loaded question so I said I didn't know. He offered 100 bucks flat. At this point I need to go to the bathroom so bad and wasn't about to go back to the neighbor to have her try and understand my needs, so I agreed.
Of course, they didn't take checks but I wasn't about to give them my credit card for fear they would add the other 100 bucks to it. So I didn't lie but I didn't share that I had my credit card with me either. He took the check for 20 seconds of work which makes me want to go into the locksmith business the only thing is I don't think I could charge people once I got there because I would just want to help them out of their homeless or car predicament!
I will say even though the day didn't go as we had planned, Amanda and I still had some fun, and exercise, a nice talk with God, and a greater appreciation for our car and home, but most importantly THE KEYS!