At one of the campaign headquarters they were collecting personal items/food/notes, for our troops still serving our country and assembling/sending them care packages.
I love to do service projects with the girls and am always looking for a way for them to learn to give to others so Amelia and I went to the grocery and filled our cart with chips, gum, candy, cereal bars, etc and after we picked Amanda up from school we went and dropped them off. We wrote out a note to thank the troops for serving our country and allowing us to worship God in a free country. I told Amelia we had to say thank you to those who help us stay safe and free. When we told Amanda where we were going she was tired from school and wanted to go home. Amelia told her, "No we have to take the stuff to the people who help us!" "What are they called again?"
She has a hard time remembering the word troops! The next day we saw some men in uniform and I told her they serve our country and she remembered we took the stuff to them to say thanks.
While they might not understand it all, I do think if we keep giving them opportunities to serve others they will grow up with a love for our country and all the men and women who serve us. Plus, they will just have a general love for all people that is so desperately needed in this country!
I have to admit that September 11th was such a sad day and remembering the events of that day make me sooo sad, but as I reflected on the events of that day 11 years ago and being in my classroom when I found out the news.........I will never forget that sense of everyone coming together and loving one another for our country. The United States seemed soooo United, now with an election season in full swing I wonder where that sense of unity is? I am praying that the politicians will grow up after the election and stop fighting one another and start fighting for our country once again. 