After a lot of searching and praying we think we found a really good fit for Amanda and after attending a wonderful back to school night this week, I feel at peace with the decision we made.
I think she is going to be challenged academically and love her teachers! She has 11 classmates in her class, and 11 classmates in the first grade next door. The class can open up and be one big classroom so all 22 of them are together for some subjects.
Amanda's first grade teacher has taught for over 20 years and is a grandma, and the other teacher was the kindergarten teacher last year and Amanda visited her class last year for the day when we were evaluating schools. The teachers have been friends for years which I love. It was neat to see how they work together and I am looking forward to a great year!
My husband had to stop me at back to school night because I got over excited and was signing up for just about everything I could to be involved! Yikes!
Fortunately, I was able to sign up for all the parties before he got the pen from my hand! Yes, they still have parties in first grade! I was soooo excited to hear that! I believe it is important to have some fun at school! I guess that is why "Social" Studies has always been my favorite subject and I hope Amanda likes it too!
I was so bummed but sucked it up and held the tears in until I dropped her off at Kiss and Ride. I made it almost to the main road before the tears flowed because I am an emotional nut I guess! I figured I cried the last day of school, I might as well cry the first day too!
It is funny though because I do not remember my parents crying when they dropped me off at school? I guess, being the middle child....they were ready to say good bye!!!!!!!
I think it is really going to be good for Amelia to overcome some of her shyness, be away from me for a little while, and make new friends that are her age! She doesn't talk to anyone yet but I am hoping that will change soon!
I hope she always loves school but one of my precious mentors whose kids are grown now, warned me that you will have some great teachers..........and some years maybe one you don't gel as well with but in the end......your kids will learn and be just fine and you will survive! I am glad we gel well with all of our teachers!
I am soooo thankful we are sooooo blessed with outstanding teachers and look forward to a great year of learning together! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!