I think most people will experience at least one tragic event or loss during their life time that can truly become a life changing event when they look back on it.
I'm sure hoping it is just one, because I have definitely experienced it once and do not wish to ever experience the hurt, and heart break ever again.
Today, marks 8 years since the night my best friend was killed in a tragic car accident. I know, it may seem as I have not gotten over it or moved on since I do think, write, talk, and pray, about it every July 30th......and I do talk about "my friend being killed" in conversation sometimes still.........
I had a friend who would roll her eyes every time I mentioned losing my friend, like here she goes again! I guess because people only like talking about themselves, or the good, positive, and happy, happy times. But I have noticed that the "happy times" are really not the times I learn the most about God.
It is through the difficult times, that I truly have learned to trust God. To really experience what it means to have true intimacy with God. To really feel the Holy Spirit working in my life and being sensitive towards His presence in my life.
The good times are great, but that is not typically when I have grown in my faith!
I know, I know, Christians are suppose to be HAPPY ALL THE TIME!
In fact, there is a song that is sung in many Sunday Schools across America that says, "I am in right, out right, happy all the time!" I strongly dislike that song!
I will NEVER teach my kids that song because I think it is truly a lie! That song will definitely never be on my list of favorites!
I don't care what Forest Gump says, life isn't all a box of chocolate and you know, I am soooo thankful it isn't! Not only would I weigh more......but I wouldn't have the peace I have in my heart that I have today and can have every July 30th!
I do still miss laughing with my best friend, but I have peace that I will see her again, and am so thankful her hubby has found someone to love him and the two sweethearts Doree left behind. I continue to pray for them!
I think I appreciate life so much more now, and know that living everyday, and cherishing every moment with my girls and hubby is a true blessing that I am honoured to have and will continue to appreciate it more and more each day!
I am so thankful God can use the tragic times, our hurts and disappointments for His glory. To draw us closer to Him, and make us much more grateful for the family and friends we do have. Our life is truly His masterpiece, and when we allow him to lead us, His blessings pour down in ways we can't imagine!