Saturday, October 22, 2011

Same and Different

Since Amelia and I have some free time together in between dropping off and picking Amanda up from school, on the days we do not have a scheduled class or activity planned, we are focusing on learning some new concepts.

 Last month we focused more on matching and colors. She really surprised me when I gave her the task of matching Capital letters to Capital letters. She liked it so much that she brought it to me this week and said, "Do it mommy?" I was surprised that I could show her a letter and then she could look in the other pile of letters and find the letter that matched the letter she was originally shown.

This week we are focusing more on same and different. We are using some leaf cut outs. I showed her one time how to match the different leaves and put the leaves that match into one pile. We had four leaves in each pile that were the same and five different piles. She accomplished this in no time and honestly, I had planned on working on this for a little longer!

I am so thrilled to be able to have some one on one time with Amelia to teach her new things, and simply
estactic with her new skills! We do it all through play and I really think that makes all the difference with toddlers.

This week she was able to show me the concept of  the "same" while walking in the parking lot one morning while we were taking Amanda to school. She noticed a van that was the exact same color as our car and pointed and said, "Mommy, that car same color my car!"

I am learning too! Each day I notice more and more how much my girls are "the same" in so many ways, yet sooooo "different" in many other ways! I love it!

If we were all the same the world would be a very boring place! Today we saw a man walking around a major intersection blowing a big trumpet with a sign on it saying, "Sanity is over rated!" Amanda wondered why he was doing that? I told her because he is a little different and just having fun!!!!!! Of course hubby had to add that he was insane so a new vocabulary word was learned too!