Wednesday, October 19, 2011

5 year old's Know Best!

Amanda is going to be having a birthday soon and since kindergartner's love to party, yes, they start planning their birthday parties especially after they have been to one. Sometimes, they talk and plan for months! One mom told me her daughter has been planning her party for a year!

 It is fun for them to go to their friend's house I suppose.

 We were writing out invitations the other night and she named who she wanted to come etc...I look at parties as a potential to hurt feelings and since I am sensitive and try not to do that........ I was encouraging her to invite one friend and she told me, "I don't want to invite her because she is so mean!"

We talked for a while about it and since we do limit her guest lists, and it is her party, she should be allowed to invite whoever she wants, with the exception of no boys this year. It is a Barbie party and I think if I had a son and he was invited to a Barbie party, I wouldn't really appreciate that! Some things are meant just for girls!!!!!

We talked about hurting people's feelings if they aren't invited to things etc....but she kept making the point that this girl was mean so why should she invite her to her party when she didn't want her there?

 I must admit I see both sides of it thanks to a special hubby who has taught me to see both sides of all situations.......

I definitely see Amanda's side why should she chose to spend time with someone she doesn't want to? Yes, we still need to be loving and kind to everyone but honestly, there are some people I do not invite over not because I am being mean, or don't like them, I just don't care to get to know them better or want to invest time in a friendship with them.

Time is limited and I feel like I have wasted time investing in some friendships in the past that were just one sided friendships. I was the friend I expected them to be to me and for whatever reason they didn't reciprocate. I have always chosen the "be friends with everyone approach" and have had to reevaluate that approach the past couple of years because it just brings heart ache when you realize someone you thought was your friend betrays you, or has just been using you for whatever they can get from you because you have a generous heart!

 So I guess my daughter is years ahead of me in her thinking! I guess it is the same for kids. I am glad she is learning this young!

So I let Amanda choose to invite the kids she wanted within a number limit....Today as we were leaving a playground this little girl that she claims is "so mean" came up to me and said, "Do you have a baby in there?" and she pointed to my tummy! Oh yay!

Now I totally understand where Amanda was coming from and think she knows best! Gotta run, I have lots of sit ups to do.......