Ever since Amanda was born, every Easter I have wondered what went through Mary's mind as she watched her son die on the cross. I couldn't even begin to imagine giving up my child to save others. I love others but couldn't give my child's life for anyone, much less people who I knew would one day reject him as the Son of God. Knowing that she was giving up her son so others might live.......live their lives for themselves selfishly abandoning Jesus for their own desires. Knowing that for some his death would be in vain because they will never believe in him or accept him into their hearts and life.
I couldn't do it, but I am so thankful that Mary trusted her son enough to let him go to the cross for us.
Billy Graham's daughter is one of my favorite writers/speakers and she puts it into words nicely.......
God's Comfort
Blessed be the . . . God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4, NIV
How could Mary bear to watch her Son tortured? Yet how could she tear herself away?
Her entire body must have quivered as though from an electric shock as she heard Jesus calling to her from the Cross. Surely her breath caught as she strained to hear His words, yet He spoke clearly, "'Dear woman, here is your son,' and to the disciple [John], 'Here is your mother.' From that time on, this disciple took her into his home" (John 19:26-27, NIV). And somehow, even with the horror of the scene before her, and the weight of agony pressing against her chest, she knew everything was going to be all right. She didn't understand, but in the midst of the anguish only a mother knows as her heart is shattered by the pain of her child, a quiet peace must have stolen its way within when God spoke directly and personally to her from the Cross. God had singled her out, He had noticed her, He had cared for her, and she was comforted.
Blessings,
Anne Graham Lotz