Monday, June 30, 2008

Turn those swishers on!

Today was a typical low key "don't plan to do a lot Monday!" We try to keep our Mondays for just grocery shopping, not much else since our weekends as you can read, are a tad busy most of them time!

We had an indoor picnic of turkey/cheese sandwiches, blueberries, strawberries, and tomatoes, along w/ cream cheese and wheat thins. Amanda loves picnics on a blanket in the family room, which is funny considering when we moved just a little over a year ago, we were never going to eat or drink in the family room! ha Amanda lives for her little picnics!

We needed to go on our Monday shopping trip but Amanda said, "no mommy, I want to watch TV" as she sat in her sweet little chair with her Tigger on one side of her and a baby on the other. She was ready and so were her friends! So I let her watch a show and then I told her we had to go.....of course, my little tv lover didn't want to go...."let's go tomorrow" she replied. I told her no I let you watch your show and we had to go now. So off we went without any tantrums or struggles. (this letting your child know the expectation and then following through thing really works)

We went to a craft store first to pick up a few things. I don't know if you have heard of it or not but there is this thing out there like play dough called "floam" I saw it at the teacher's store once since the manager was playing with it and it looked like we could really have fun with it. I brought it home and let me tell you, it is the worst stuff ever! It stuck to my hands like I couldn't believe, nothing at all like what that manager had at the teacher store. I think I either got the wrong stuff or a bad batch! I wasn't about to let Amanda touch it, so sorted letters out instead.

On our way to the grocery store when we were stopped at a light Amanda said, "papaw runs red lights mommy, did you know that?" She mentioned it again at dinner to her dad. "Papaw runs red lights because red is his favorite color." Poor Papaw will never live this down and he didn't even run the red light months ago! Amanda thinks he did because he was turning on red which was legal where he was turning. Of course, she didn't get it.
But don't worry papaw, she tells on me too! She told daddy on Sunday that "mommy drove on the sidewalk daddy" ha He said, "she did?" I explained that I was turning around since I got "turned around coming home from an area I am not familiar with" I had to go up on the sidewalk to avoid going in the ditch behind me! My husband really has never felt confident with my driving his daughter around so this of course just adds to it doesn't it honey? ha ha

Amanda was so cute when we were coming out of the craft store today and it was pouring down rain! I told her we should wait till it stopped........she said, "let's run mommy and say AHHHHHHH!" So we did just that! We ran to the car yelling, "ahhhhhhhhh" and were soaked! (it is times like these I am so thankful for not running into someone I know)

But we laughed the entire way to the car in between our yelling "ahhh", and even afterwards too. It is amazing how an adult can see the rain as a real pain in the neck, where a child sees it as another opportunity to just have fun and scream "ahhhhhh" We got into the car and Amanda notice a red truck like Papaw's next to us with his wipers on, Amanda said, "turn those swishers on like that guy mommy!" ha I have never heard her call them that before but I bet she got it from THE WHEELS ON THE BUS Book! Amanda wore red ladybug shoes today and she said, "my shoes match papaw's truck, and those words over there" She was pointing a recycling bin and they had words written in red. She kept this up at dinner naming all of the red items on the table. I have noticed she sorts things by color not just in her mind but at her Gymboree class too. She was putting all of the red peanuts into the Elephants mouth and then the blue, etc:) If I could just get her to count to ten without leaving out the seven we would be on a roll for a 2 1/2 year old!