Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A germophobic's nightmare!

Yes, I am a bit of a germophobic.......at least that is what others think! This weekend we went to see a play and Amanda had to go to the bathroom during intermission. We waited in the line with all the other women....(why is there always a line for the women and not men I do not understand?)

 Amanda went into the stall and I held the door for her since there was line and she couldn't seem to get the door to lock. When she was finished she tried to get out and apparently she had been successful in getting the door to lock because she couldn't get it to unlock. I stayed calm because she did not.......she was locked in the stall and it scared her to death because she couldn't get the lock to move. She instantly became very emotional!
 I told her to stay calm that I would go get help and she started screaming, (she was already crying poor thing) she screamed, "no, no,no, don't leave me mommy!"

By then we had others offering advice. (Isn't there always someone wanting to give advice when you are in the mist of solving the problem?) Someone suggested I crawl under the door..........yes, they were a stranger because anyone that knows me well would know that was not a good idea! There was no way I could fit under and if I did I don't know how I could stand up once I got in there........the mere thought of crawling on a public bathroom floor makes me really sick!

Then someone suggested Amanda crawl through........she started screaming through her cries that she couldn't fit. It was a really long door and there was very little space in the front........then I hear this sweet saint say, "Let me try and crawl under!"

This saint was in the stall next to Amanda and there was more space between the stalls and she was a tiny little thing and wha-la...within seconds she had Amanda's door open. I wanted to hug her but my child was screaming so loud that I need to calm her down so I thanked her and told her she was a saint!

When we sat down for the rest of the play I started thanking God that I didn't have to crawl on that dirty bathroom floor even though I would have done so for my child if I could fit......I think it is the first time in my life I am actually thankful to not be a skinny, little thing!

 My heart was still racing from the incident and I wondered how in the world could I ever repay a total stranger for her kindness? Then I spotted her five or six rows ahead of us and thought I should go and give her some money......then the play started so I knew I couldn't do that. So I just said a prayer for her that God would repay her for her self-less act that meant the world to me! I prayed He would pour out  blessings upon her life and I know He will!

She sure didn't have to do that for my child who was a stranger, yet she did. It really did stop me in my tracks and made me think about the times I am too busy with my own life to help out a stranger.......it is sooo much easier for me to help friends and family but strangers? I am always looking for "teachable moments for my children" and God gave me my own teachable moment.