Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Operation Amanda 2012

March 26, 2012 will go down as a big day for Amanda. We checked into the hospital at 11 am and waited to be called.

One last picture!

They gave Amanda a bracelet and we read a book before we were called. Good news the surgeon was running ahead so they could take Amanda early. She was thrilled since she couldn't eat after midnight the night before and couldn't drink after 9 am.

We passed some more time taking silly pictures.


The brought us back for weight, height, and a blood pressure check and then the doctor came in and talked to us. He is soooo nice and soooo calm. I could never be a doctor! BTW- Amanda is now four feet tall! She has grown almost 6 inches in the past year. At this rate she will be taller than I am in no time!

She was nervous but trying to act like she wasn't. Poor thing.

Talking to the doctor!

We went into the pre-op room, all three of us which was nice! The child life specialist came in and talked to Amanda and used pictures. She talked to her about breathing into the mask and left it for her to practice. She was a sweetie!


Since only one of us was allowed in the operating room for one minute.....we gave her a choice and she chose me! Yay!!! She has wanted me a lot since she has been recovering which is what every girl wants when they are sick. Don't worry, there are lots of times she wants daddy so he is not left out. I am pretty sure she will want him when it comes to Algebra home work!


The anesthesiologist came in and talked to us too. I came close to crying when he said they would be placing a breathing tube down her throat and he would be breathing for her, but I quickly regained my composure so I wouldn't upset her but will admit it was a little hard......


She watched Scooby for a few minutes and practiced her breathing......she liked practicing.





 She said good bye to daddy and we wheeled her back to the Operating room.


This is when I got in trouble and the nurse told me not to take any more pictures. OPPS! Maybe a malpractice thing or two I don't know the reasoning but I quickly put the camera away! I got to talk to Amanda until she was out......it didn't take long but was hard to see but again, hubby was proud that I didn't cry! Once she was out I had to leave.

I went back to the pediatric waiting room and waited with hubby. I prayed for Amanda, and it seemed like just minutes passed......and the doctor was in and told us that she was doing well, would be going to recovery and we could see her soon. The nurses were waking her up. He did warn us that her tonsils were adult-sized which would make the recovery a little longer and harder, but otherwise it was going to be great!

We didn't take pics until we were ready to leave because seeing her in pain and so upset was not something we want a picture of. She was sooo brave! When she saw me coming back to her in the recovery room she cried, "Mommy" and I will admit that was the one time I cried seeing her in so much pain just broke my heart, but we got it together quickly hubby was proud and I surprised myself!
The nurse brought a present cart by and gave Amanda a book and pillow. It looked like someone has handmade the pillow which really makes us so grateful to those groups who do that. You never know how comforting a book or something like a pillow can be in a time of recovering from an operation.
Amanda asked to bring her baby M with her. This is the baby she would carry around from the time she was around 15 months til over 2. She still plays with her but doesn't carry her around anymore so when she asked to take her to the hospital I thought that was soooooooo sweet!

She was a little dizzy from all the meds. They gave her morphine three times before we left......they say it is is safe for kids, I sure hope so! The nurse taught us how to make special slushies. She ate two or three in the hospital.
Then we got her dressed, put her in a wheel chair and wheel her out. She was pretty excited prior to the operation about the wheel chair but at this moment she just want to go home and sleep. And so we did!

She was so brave and we are sooo proud of her. She didn't even wince when they took off the heart monitors and removed the IV. Such a great patient!

Daddy pulled the car around and home we went! Our prayer is that this surgery will cure all of her medical issues from the sleep apnea, croup, tummy troubles etc. We already can notice a difference with her breathing at night and know it will only get better with some time! She is loving the Popsicles, and ice cream, and so is her little sis. Every time Amanda has a Popsicle, Mia wants one also. I think she likes this way of life!

She asked me to take a picture of her and did this face........must be something she learned from mammaw while we were at the hospital.

I know she didn't learn this from mammaw or anyone from our family. I am afraid she just taught herself but needless to say, I won't be setting the milk carton down and walking away for a minute again!



Glad it was milk and not my diet coke because I need my diet coke! Who could ever be mad at a face like that?

Thanks to all of our family and friends who prayed for Amanda yesterday, we are so thankful to be loved and prayed for! Now we just pray for a speedy recovery........