Monday, February 1, 2010

Eating solids

This week our little girl or I guess I should say "big" girl" started eating solid foods for the first time, if you consider baby food solid food.




Amelia has been watching us intently whenever we eat so the doctor said it was time to start solids. So we started with rice cereal......I don't remember trying it with Amanda so I tried it and it doesn't taste like anything but mush but she ate it like it was chocolate.


While slaving over the hot stove for hours preparing this rice cereal dish......this toy kept her entertained.






She appeared to eat better when sissy fed her which of course thrilled her big sis! Amanda loves helping and asked to feed her little sis.











Amelia loves grabbing the spoon and tries to help feed herself. It gets messy but I figure practice makes perfect and works towards our goal of her independently feeding herself.
So the messier the better!















Watching Amanda feed her little sis made me think back to when Amanda sat in the same highchair. Oh how time flies! I constantly tell myself to treasure and cherish this special time in our lives. (I will admit to some moments being easier to do this than others)
They are only helpless little babies for such a short time! I feel so blessed to have a big willing helper to help me meet the needs of my little "helpless" infant. What a privilege it is to serve them by meeting their needs, and teaching them that I am here for them will hopefully make them secure and confident big girls in the future! (At least, that's what the parenting book I am reading right now says!) I believe it is true!


















This week we started peaches. I thought she would love them but she made this awful face like she was missing the rice cereal. Just wait baby Amelia, CHOCOLATE is in your future and I promise it is better than any of this!