It is soooo funny how things that bothered me with Amanda don't bother me as much with Amelia. My mom tells me that I am much more relaxed this time. I haven't noticed since I don't feel too relax but anyhow. I didn't feel comfortable nursing Amanda in public places for a very long time. If we were at a restaurant I would run to the car to nurse even if it was in the middle of a meal. Eventually, I got over what others thought and nursed in public, but always with a blanket over me and still a little nervous. I just was never one to show and tell like some of those ladies from La Leche:)
I think modesty is so important even though breastfeeding is a natural, God given thing there is never a reason to show and tell what God has given you. Plus, people around you might not be comfortable with it. I know you can see more at the pool than when nursing but still I always have practiced modest nursing until.............last week!
We had stopped into Toys R Us to buy a present for a birthday party Amanda was attending. I told Amanda I was really tired and we couldn't keep Amelia around others for too long....somehow the quick trip ended up being a longer trip.......and Amelia was ready to eat. So we raced to the car, and I put her on my lap in the front seat to nurse. I figured since we had tinted windows in our new car that it would be a breeze and she was screaming so I wasn't as modest as I normally am, but since we have tinted windows it didn't matter no one could see me......y0u know I have never had tinted windows before.........
I told Amanda "If I didn't know better I would think that man is looking right at me staring, but we have tinted windows so I know he's not!" Amanda told me she thought he was but I told her again, "no we have tinted windows he can't see us!" A few minutes later I told Amanda,"man if I didn't know better I would think that woman is looking at us!" She was making motions around her breasts like she was talking about mine to her passenger and then she appeared to look right at me! A minute later the guy parked next to us seemed to have a problem looking at us too, while he was waiting for his mate to come out of the store, but I knew it was just my paranoid mind because I was out of my comfort zone since this was the first time we had nursed in the car with Amelia.
When we got home I told my hubby about it and he told me that yes, we do have tinted windows but PEOPLE CAN STILL SEE INSIDE OUR CAR!
WHAT?????? I thought having tinted windows meant no show and tell? What was he talking about? How could this be? Oh no, my daughter was right! All of those people that I kept saying if I didn't know better they were watching us really were watching us! I just about died but then I thought, hey my daughter was hungry and I had left my hoodie hiders at home and hey, I just didn't know that tinted windows didn't make me invisible as much as I would have loved to have been at that moment!